Dr. E. Stirling Craig
As a previous M.D. Anderson reconstructive microsurgery fellow and Assistant Professor, Dr. E. Stirling Craig is one of the few plastic surgeons in the Houston areas that specializes in the microsurgical procedures required for free flap reconstruction for breast cancer and lymphedema patients.
Educated in aesthetic and reconstructive procedures during a six-year plastic surgery residency at Yale Medical School, Dr. Craig obtained her medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston. Her approachability and progressive plastic and reconstructive surgical procedures enable her patients to fully understand the best available procedures and make informed choices about their care.
Dr. Craig has sought to expand her knowledge of specific procedures by spending time observing and participating with world-renowned plastic surgeons. Her determination to provide the best possible care for her patients has led her to travel throughout the world to train with:
- Dr. Phillip Blondeel, Aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery.
- Dr. Corrine Becker: Lymphedema and vascularized lymph node transfer.
- Dr. Fu-Chen Wei: Lymphedema and head and neck microsurgery.
- Dr. Timothy J. Marten: Facial rejuvenation, fat grafting, blepharoplasty, and facelift.
- Dr. Francois Firmin: Rhinoplasty and pediatric ear reconstruction.
- Dr. Rod Rodrich: Aesthetic and functional rhinoplasty.
- Dr. Dean Toriumi: Aesthetic and functional rhinoplasty.
One of the founding principles of her practice is enhanced patient care with the latest techniques in plastic surgery learned from pioneers in the field.
Dr. Craig has been recognized with awards in plastic surgery, microsurgery, and research. During her medical training and career as a plastic surgeon, she has obtained numerous accolades, including the:
- Thomas Nealon Award for Excellence in Surgery.
- Honors Research Award.
- Yale Plastic Surgery Research Award.
In addition to these awards, she has attained a fellowship and subsequent faculty position from the nation’s leading cancer center (M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX).
Contributions to Research & Education
Dr. Craig has written and co-authored over fifteen peer-reviewed journals and chapters in plastic surgery. She has lectured nationally and internationally as an invited expert on breast and lymphedema reconstruction.
As an educator, Dr. Craig has advised several medical students, residents, and fellows during their time at M.D. Anderson and Yale University. She views teaching as a means to encourage students to approach plastic surgery from a patient-centric perspective.
Membership in Professional Organizations
Dr. Craig is a board-certified plastic surgeon active in several professional organizations that connect her to a wider network of plastic surgeons. Her affiliations include the:
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- Houston Women in Plastic Surgery.
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
As one of the few women specializing in microsurgery and plastic surgery, Dr. Craig is co-founder of the Houston Chapter of XX in Health. This initiative is part of a broader effort to promote dialogue between local women in healthcare to encourage networking, ideas, and innovative practices. She is also an invited reviewer for peer-reviewed journals in plastic surgery.
Dr. Craig is involved in international outreach that includes providing free surgery to children in need in developing nations. She has traveled to Central and South America and Asia to participate and lead programs such as:
- Changing Children’s Lives: An organization that sends plastic surgeons to repair cleft palate and lip throughout the developing world.
- Healing the Children: Mission trips that send plastic surgeons to developing nations in need of advanced plastic surgery techniques to restore acquired and congenital deformities in children.
Dr. Craig is fluent in Spanish and has also acted as a translator and surgical assistant when she was in medical school for ear, nose, and throat physicians during a 2001 trip to Guatemala.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Craig, contact our Houston office at 713-346-9909, to schedule your consultation.